Red, White and Royal Blue

 WARNING: THIS POST IS NOT SPOILER FREE!





First Son Alex Claremont-Diaz is the closest thing to a prince this side of the Atlantic. With his intrepid sister and the Veep’s genius granddaughter, they’re the White House Trio, a beautiful millennial marketing strategy for his mother, President Ellen Claremont. International socialite duties do have downsides—namely, when photos of a confrontation with his longtime nemesis Prince Henry at a royal wedding leak to the tabloids and threaten American/British relations. The plan for damage control: staging a fake friendship between the First Son and the Prince.

As President Claremont kicks off her reelection bid, Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret relationship with Henry that could derail the campaign and upend two nations. What is worth the sacrifice? How do you do all the good you can do? And, most importantly, how will history remember you?

Genres: Fiction, Romance, LGBT lit.

Honestly 

I am so damn relieved to have finally finished this book! I've been waiting and waiting to read A vow so so bold deadly.

(SQUEALS IN EXCITEMENT)


It was such a gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood(cannot stress enough) book. Istg I didn't know I needed this until I read it...

Before reading it I knew that "This will decide my future in LGBTQ genre" and hell yeah am certainly going to read 'em. Damn, this review is not going to ever make any sense at all, nor is it going to do justice to how Gay-tastic this book was, is and will be! (Me editing my review and reading other reviews and looking at fan art and listening to alec benjamin and wondering when my reviews are gonna get better)

This is just exactly the definition of a rom-com. It has the best ever dialogues and all the characters have such *chef's finger kiss* intelligence! Maybe it was a bit clichΓ© but like I even care. Note: Am still a sucker for fantasy and sci-fic

Ok, so am gonna go ahead with my "Ramblings on the Characters"


“Aw, little buddy,” Nora says. She reaches over and pats his hand. “It’s cute how you think everything is about you.” 

“It should be, honestly.” 

And that is how I fell on love with Alex. What's not to love about him -He's witty, he's smart, has a big fat mouth that won't stop talking, is narcissistic enough to read the articles and fanfic on him and lets not forget the fact that he's so purely gay. 

He knows them both down to their split ends and nasty habits, but there’s a strange girl bond between them he can’t, and knows he isn’t supposed to, translate.

Nods head and solemnly adds this to my list "Why I love Alex Claremont-Diaz"

He knows he talks too much, hopeless at moderating his feelings, which he usually hides under ten layers of charm, but he ultimately doesn’t care what Henry thinks of him, so he doesn’t bother. Instead, he’s as weird and manic as he wants to be, and Henry jabs back in sharp flashes of startling wit. 

Am listening (smiles smugly)

He smiles and presses a button on the inside of the sleeve, and “O Christmas Tree” plays from a speaker near his armpit. 

*No Comments* 

But Alex is the golden boy. The heartthrob, the handsome rogue with a heart of gold. The guy who moves through life effortlessly, who makes everyone laugh. Highest approval ratings of the entire First Family. The whole point of him is that his appeal is as universal as possible.

Nods head knowingly



June, she reminds me of someone I'd very much love to be (not exactly but still) 

June is often a mystery, a big ball of complex emotions and motivations, but her heart is honest and true.

June came that fall, fresh out of UT. She’s never said it, but Alex knows she moved in to keep an eye on him. She knows better than anyone else how much he gets off on being this close to the action, and she’s bodily yanked him out of the West Wing on more than one occasion.

“You have so much in you, it’s almost impossible to match it. But he’s your match, dumbass.” (June to Alex about Henry)

“Thanks, baby bro.” June

“Don’t call me that.” Alex

“Tiny, miniature, itty-bitty, baby brother.” June

“Fuck off.” Alex

“Go to bed.” June

Like she always knows what Alex is feeling, she steadies him when his world is precariously balanced on the edge of a cliff. Manh the world deserves more people like her!


Nora, is the one who who keeps them honest. She was an interesting character with a photographic memory and is bi. She was pretty fun and crazy and too smart for the world that people sometimes found her creepy. I didn't have any problems with her during the book but as I read my highlights it was particularly spooky.

And it would have been more wonderful if we had more of Pez and June chemistry in the book... Now that i did bring this up, srsly! this book felt so complete when I finished it, just imagine the impact it might have had on me if it did include some straight stuff too! Holy Smoking Hell 

Henry  

Where do I start with this little Prince of England. Let's take the Alex approach, making a list of the things I love about the gay HRH Henry

1.As if on cue, Henry comes galloping around the bend on the back of a pristine white horse. He is definitely not sweaty or disgusting. He is, instead, bathed dramatically in a sweeping and resplendent sunset, wearing a crisp black jacket and riding pants tucked into tall leather boots, looking every inch an actual fairy-tale prince. ( Prince Charming ahhh)

2.Whatever, fine. Henry is annoyingly attractive. That’s always been a thing, objectively. It’s fine. ( No its not)

3.“No need to apologize,” Henry tells her.

“Rebel commanders outrank royalty.” 

He shoots Claudette a wink and a salute, and she positively melts. 

4.“Bloody hell,” Henry mutters.(yaaaaaasss my British boy!)

5.Henry huffs out the tiniest, most poshly indignant puff of air. It smells minty. ( giggles like a silly school girl)

6.Truly harrowing,” Henry’s voice says tinnily over the speaker.

7. "You are the thistle in the tender and sensitive arse crack of my life." (Gosh he certainly has his way with words)

8.He’s into Henry’s British accent. (Me too sunshine)

9. Alex was wrong before, Henry’s going to be the one to kill him, not the other way around. (Oops)

10. Nobody’s ever got the nerve to be cheeky to a prince, except you. The moment you first called me a prick, my fate was sealed. O, fathers of my bloodline! O, ye kings of olde! Take this crown from me, bury me in my ancestral soil. If only you had known the mighty work of thine loins would be undone by a gay heir who likes it when American boys with chin dimples are mean to him. (My oh my henry)

11. If I continue I'll probably have a book written on this...


Forgive me for being so dumb 

But 

"a man called Stu who looks as if he spends weekends yelling at mice in his garden."

I laughed so hard at this that my younger sister gave me  tf-is-up-with-you look!



Me reading this after I finished the book 

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Nora: numbers on one of us getting involved in a sex scandal before the end of second term?

Her response comes within seconds: 94% probability of your dick becoming a recurring personality on face the nation.


Did I tell y'all how I loved the explicit writing and why I loved it!

No?

Hmmm, strange. Anyways this quite self explanatory, if you'll just do me the honor of reading thought the next -ok wait lemme switch to my play books and copy it- parah.

“Look,” Zahra says, taking a drag from her massive stainless steel thermos of coffee. “Both sides need to come out of this looking good, and the only way to do that is to make it look like your little slap-fight at the wedding was some homoerotic frat bro mishap, okay? So, you can hate the heir to the throne all you want, write mean poems about him in your diary, but the minute you see a camera, you act like the sun shines out of his dick, and you make it convincing.”


The entire book couldn't be that wonderful now could it!?

Hell yes it could be. It was the most flawless price of work I've ever read!

But it was my own ignorance and dislike of politics that I couldn't understand half the American stuff it deal with.... I mean duh! am just learning about Indian politics and the economy this year how'd you expect me to know about "American" politics! 

 

My Fav. lines  :)

Someone else's choice doesn't change who you are.

He feels himself standing at a very tall, very dangerous precipice, with no intention of backing away.

If Alex’s head is a storm, Henry is the place lightning hits ground. He wants it to be true.

He looks transformed in the lamplight, like a god of debauchery, painted gold with his hair all mussed up and his eyes heavy-lidded. Alex lets himself stare; the whipcord muscle under his skin, lean and long and lithe.

But beneath it all, there’s the Prince of England kissing him under a linden tree in the garden, moonlight in his hair, and Alex’s insides feel positively molten, and he wants to throw himself down the presidential stairs.

Ruining something because you wanted it too badly and still getting back up and trying again.

The crowd pushes him back into Henry’s chest, and after absolutely everything, all the emails and texts and months on the road and secret rendezvous and nights of wanting, the whole accidentally-falling-in-love-with-your-sworn-enemy-at-the-absolute-worst-possible-time thing, they made it.


My Rating: ⭐


And just like 

Am concluding my review πŸ˜…πŸ˜

(Yes, am very very random when it comes to writing reviews, especially this one)


If by any miracle somebody has a taste similar to mine.

You should totally grab this book rn!



Comments

  1. If only I could reach out and grab it right now like you said I should. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe
      Wish life was that easy πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts