The best from King's Cage (#3 Red Queen)

 

King's Cage

KING'S CAGE
ALL WILL BURN

From the back cover


In this breathless third installment to Victoria Aveyard’s #1 New York Times bestselling Red Queen series, rebellion is rising and allegiances will be tested on every side.

Mare Barrow is a prisoner, powerless without her lightning, tormented by her lethal mistakes. She lives at the mercy of a boy she once loved, a boy made of lies and betrayal. Now a king, Maven Calore continues weaving his dead mother's web in an attempt to maintain control over his country—and his prisoner.

As Mare bears the weight of Silent Stone in the palace, her once-ragtag band of newbloods and Reds continue organizing, training, and expanding. They prepare for war, no longer able to linger in the shadows. And Cal, the exiled prince with his own claim on Mare's heart, will stop at nothing to bring her back.

When blood turns on blood, and ability on ability, there may be no one left to put out the fire—leaving Norta as Mare knows it to burn all the way down.


Now for the third book of the Red Queen series. I read the reviews of this book and it seems that some found it better than glass sword, many began to like the protagonist again albeit some found it extremely boring and didn't like that the author included Evangeline's point of view and preferred Cal's  instead. Although I wholeheartedly disagree,  personally I loved the fact that I could known what was going on in Evangeline Samos's mind.

Next, Maven. He has this physical appearance that is just mind-blowing and his schemes and plans are nothing like those I can think of . 
With Mare a prisoner at Maven's Courts she finds out the horrifying truth behind him. He is not a monster of his own making. Which brings us to the sentiment many other fans share
"I JUST CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND ABOUT MAVEN CALORE!!!".

If I go on i will eventually end up writing down the whole novel.
So moving on ahead I proudly present  THE BEST FROM KING'S CAGE




The hottest fires burn blue, and his eyes are no exception.


I’m not leaving this place unless I leave behind his corpse—or mine.


He turns on his heel, heading in the opposite direction, toward the only thing he has left to keep him warm. A throne of frozen flames.


I drift on a dark sea, and shadows drift with me.


“I am what she made me,” he whispers, leaving me behind.
                                                                                    

There are pieces of me, small pieces, still in love with a fiction.

The ghost who loves me, in what poisoned way he can.

And I feel that poison working in me.



In what life can I trust anything out of your mouth ever again?


In spite of my circumstances, my painful scars, I smile.


No scar but the memory.


He's terrified. 

For a second, it makes me happy. Then I remember - monsters are most dangerous when they're afraid.


His excuses and explanations are nothing to me. He is a monster still, a monster always. And yet I can’t stop myself from listening. Because I could be a monster too. If given the wrong chance. If someone broke me, like he is broken.


"Besides,” he mumbles, “she always said it was better to be heartbroken. The pain makes you stronger. Love makes you weak. And she’s right. I learned that before I even knew you.” 
                          

Now I'm in a king's cage. But so is he. My chains are Silent Stone. His is the crown.


What is he doing? What is he planning? 

To find out, I must fly as close to the flame as I dare.


But I've been broken too many times to break again.


"Those who know what it's like in the dark will do anything to stay in the light." 
    
Every confession is an arrow, piercing every nerve ending until my body turns to cold fire.


"Not a god's chosen. But a God's cursed."            
                                                                    ~Julian Jacos

It flickers, alive for a moment, dancing like the wick of a lit candle. And, just as easily, it disappears trailing a memory like smoke.


After six months of darkness, I finally feel the light.


Bronze, red-gold, like iron brought to blazing heat.


I am glass to him, a fragile thing that might shatter̥ or disappear at any moment.


"A cell is still a cell, no matter how you dress it up" , I sneer.

He doesn't flinch, "And a war is a war, Mare Barrow. No matter how good your intentions might be." 


Every sensation is a firework, a thunderbolt, an explosion.

The thunder gets closer. As if drawn to us. 


“Don’t forget who you are,” he whispers.
                                                                ~Cal

"I don't want to become..." My voice trails away.
I don't want to become a monster. A shell with nothing but ghosts. Like Maven.


“It’s a sacrifice, I admit.”
“But a sacrifice of inches. Inches for miles.”


I expect my lightning to draw him, like a moth to a candle flame. 


You are only a shadow, and who looks at shadows when they have flame.


But already I see the tug. The lure. Power seduces all, and it makes us blind. Cal is not immune to it. If anything, he is particularly vulnerable.


All of us were made by someone else, and all of us have some thread of steel that nothing and no one can cut.


I find my thread of steel too. Thin but unbreakable.


“You aren’t alone.” The hope in his eyes cuts deeply. “You have your crown.”
                                                                                                                           ~Mare Barrow


To stand in front of a person who is your whole world and be told you are not enough. You are not the choice. You are a shadow to the person who is your sun.


Somewhere in the distance, somewhere in my bones, thunder rolls.


 


That's all from King's Cage 

Do Remember to come back for The next blog on War storm

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts